This qualification has been developed for supervisors working in the construction industry.
Learners gaining this qualification will understand their role within a construction environment. Topics covered include: workforce responsibilities; how risk assessment ensures a safe construction environment and delivering a safety briefing.
Individuals achieving this qualification can then progress onto:
• Highfield Level 3 Award in Risk Assessment (RQF)
• Highfield Level 4 Award in Health and Safety in the Workplace (RQF)
The qualification is assessed using the following methods of assessment:
i. Part one: This component is assessed by multiple-choice question (MCQ) examination. This method of assessment is an end of course exam and must follow the Highfield Security and Invigilation Guidelines. The examination for this qualification contains 15 questions that must be completed within 30 minutes. Successful learners must achieve a minimum pass mark of 9 correct answers (60%) to pass.
ii. Part two: This component is assessed by practical assessment where a learner must create and deliver a 10-minute safety briefing.
What Will You Learn?
- 1. Understand the responsibilities of the workforce within a construction environment
- 2. Know how to reduce risks to ensure a safe construction environment
- 3. Be able to deliver a safety briefing
1. Understand the responsibilities of the workforce within a construction environment
1.1 Describe the responsibilities of employees00:00
1.2 Describe the responsibilities of employers00:00
1.3 Describe the responsibilities of supervisors00:00
2. Know how to reduce risks to ensure a safe construction environment
2.1 Identify the reasons that health and safety is important00:00
2.2 Define the terms hazard, risk and competence00:00
2.3 Explain a simple process for carrying out a risk assessment00:00
2.4 Explain the hierarchy of control00:00
2.5 Describe how risk assessments can be used to reduce accidents and ill health and work00:00
2.6 Identify when a safe system of work is required00:00
2.7 Identify when a permit to work is required00:00
3. Be able to deliver a safety briefing
3.1 Prepare to deliver a construction safety briefing00:00
3.2 Deliver a construction safety briefing00:00